Updated: Nov 20
Dhanteras 2023: Day and Date, Puja Timings, Significance, Dhanteras Remedies
The festival of 'Dhanteras' is celebrated on the Trayodashi of Krishna Paksha of Kartik month. According to religious belief, buying new utensils on this day is auspicious. This year's Day and Date will be on Friday, 10th November 2023. On this day, people worship Yamraj, the god of death, and Lord Dhanvantari, has special significance on the day of Dhanteras. The festival of Dhanteras comes on the first day of the 5-day festival of Diwali. Lord Dhanvantari was born on this day.
Dhanteras 2023: History and Signifiance
Dhanteras 2023: Day and Date, Puja Timings- which is Friday, 10th November 2023. There is a history behind the Dhanteras celebration. There are many stories like, during the churning of the ocean, on the day of Kartik Krishna Trayodashi, Lord Dhanvantari appeared with the nectar urn in his hands. It is believed that Lord Dhanvantari is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu took birth in the incarnation of Dhanvantari only for the expansion of medical science in the universe. The festival of Dhanteras is celebrated to commemorate the appearance of Lord Dhanvantari.
Dhanteras Story- Vaman Avtar of Lord Vishnu
Another legend behind the celebration of Dhanteras is that on the day of Kartik Krishna Trayodashi, Lord Vishnu broke one eye of Shukracharya, the guru of the Asuras, due to obstructing the work of the deities. According to this legend, Lord Vishnu appeared in the incarnation of Vamana to free the gods from the tyranny of King Bali, but Shukracharya recognized Lord Vishnu in the form of Vamana and said to King Bali, 'If Vamana asks for anything in charity. Don't give up, Vamana is the real Lord Vishnu who has come to snatch everything from you to help the gods.' However, King Bali did not listen to Shukracharya. Vamana took a pledge to donate three steps of land, as demanded by the Lord, by taking water from the Kamandal. To stop Bali from donating, Shukracharya entered King Bali's kamandal in a miniature form. This blocked the way for water to flow out of Kamandal. Vamana understood the trick of Lord Shukracharya. Lord Vamana placed the Kusha in his hand in the kamandal in such a way that one eye of Shukracharya burst. Shukracharya came out of the kamandal in a hurry. After this Bali took a pledge to donate three steps of land. Then Lord Vamana measured the whole earth with one foot and space with the other. With no place to take the third step, Bali laid his head at the feet of Lord Vamana. Bali gave his everything in charity and in this way, the gods got freedom from the fear of sacrifice and got many times more wealth than the wealth that Bali had snatched from the gods. The festival of Dhanteras is also celebrated on this occasion.
Dhanteras 2023: Shubh Muhurat, Puja Time,
1. On the day of Dhanteras, keep 13 earthen lamps(Diya) inside the house and 13 earthen lamps outside the house. It is believed that doing this remedy on Dhanteras removes poverty and darkness. Also invites Goddess Lakshmi and Lord Kuber to come to the house. This remedy also removes negative energy from the house.
2. If you do not have money or there is always a shortage of money, then you must offer cloves (longs) during the worship of Goddess Lakshmi from Dhanteras to the day of Diwali. Keep in mind that only one pair of (clove) longs ie two (clove) longs have to be kept during the worship.
3. On the day of Dhanteras, after worshipping Lakshmi-Ganeshji and Kuberji, take 21 grains of rice after counting them. Take care that the rice is not broken or dirty. Wrap these rice grains in a red cloth and keep them in your safe or money cupboard at night. By doing this, the troubles of your house are removed and prosperity comes.
4. On the day of Dhanteras, after buying coriander seeds, it should be offered to Goddess Lakshmi on the day of Diwali. Sow some of these seeds in the garden of the house. It is believed that the coriander leaves growing from these bring happiness and prosperity to the house.
Dhanteras 2023: What to buy on the day of Dhanteras?
1. Buying new utensils on the day of Dhanteras is considered the most auspicious. It is also customary to buy silver utensils on this day. People believe that silver is a symbol of the moon, which gives coolness. On the day of Dhanteras, people buy gold and silver utensils coins, etc.
2. It is also considered auspicious to bring the Dakshina-varti conch shell into the house on the day of Dhanteras. It is said that Goddess Lakshmi is very pleased with this conch shell and enters the house.
3. Many people also buy the idol of Ganesha Lakshmi Ji on this day, which is worshipped on the day of Diwali.
4. At present, buying vehicles, etc. on the day of Dhanteras is also considered auspicious. Apart from this, buying other electronic items like a mobile, computer, and electrical equipment is also auspicious on the day of Dhanteras.
5. The broom is considered a symbol of Lakshmi. Bring a new broom home on the occasion of Diwali. Due to this, the negative forces will go out of the house and Lakshmi will come in a clean house.
Dhanteras 2023: What should not be bought on the day of Dhanteras?
Although the day of Dhanteras is considered a very good day to buy things, there are some items that you should not buy. 1. Do not buy items related to glass or any glassware. if it is necessary to buy then the glass should not be transparent or cloudy.
2. On this day one should not buy any such item in which oil is used. If the goods are necessary, then you should buy them two to three days in advance.
3. According to some beliefs, one should avoid buying black-coloured items on this day. They are not considered auspicious.
4. Buying aluminium utensils on Dhanteras is not considered auspicious. Because this metal is ruled by Rahu. And almost all the auspicious planets are affected by it. For this reason, the use of aluminium metal is not considered auspicious from the point of view of worship.
5. Sharp items like knives, scissors, knives, and iron utensils should not be bought on this day.
For More Remedies Click Here
For FREE SERVICES Click here